Pikaia Lodge is being built on Santa Cruz Island in the centre of the Galapagos Archipelago. These islands belong to the Republic of Ecuador. The Galapagos and its surrounding marine reserve are Natural World Heritage sites of UNESCO. The marine reserve is one of the Seven Underwater Wonders of the world and the second largest protected marine reserve, after the great Australian Barrier Reef.
Pikaia Lodge Property
Our 31 hectares of property and private wild giant tortoise reserve is located 450 meters above sea level in the transition zone between the sunny, arid savanna and the lush tropical mist forest of the volcanic highlands. Given its unique location it has a special microclimate: Warm and sunny with fresh breezes for most of the year, therefore, mosquito free! During the cooler “Garua Season” our property is occasionally shrouded in mist. At this time, from July to November, the wild tortoises migrate from the arid zone up to Pikaia for grazing.
A Stunning Location with Breathtaking Views
The main building will be perched on a small plateau on top of two extinct volcanic craters and the rooms and villas will nestle amongst the slopes. This location offers one of the most spectacular view points in the Galapagos – a great scenic destination in itself. From all our public areas and rooms, our guests will enjoy expansive views of the pristine arid savanna of the adjacent Galapagos National Park by looking north, to extinct volcanic cones shrouded in mist, mountains covered with lush tropical cloud forests, and green pasture farms by looking to the south-west; along with a 270 degree view of the infinite Pacific Ocean with nearby islands as a backdrop.
Our Property´s History
Only 3% of the entire Galapagos land mass is private land for the use of farms and towns, while 97% is National Park area and is protected from development. Before we acquired the property in 2006, it was a cattle ranch. All native vegetation and trees had been cut down and replaced by pasture. If they could pass the barbed wire fences, the free roaming wild tortoises had to compete, mostly unsuccessfully, with the cattle for the scarce water in the natural rainwater ponds on the ranch. The finches and other rare birds had lost their nesting sites and seed producing trees for food. Four years ago we undertook the titanic task of restoring this property to its original natural state because it borders on the National Park and we would like our property to be a natural extension of the Park. We have engaged in an ambitious program of reforestation with native, endemic species and have set favorable conditions for the wild tortoises and birds to return.
Reservations, Payments and Cancellation Policy for Groups (10 or more guests)
Reservations, Payments and Cancellation Policy for individual Guests
All reservations require a minimum deposit or US$ 350 per guest according to the following table:
• Reservations made within 120 days or more prior to arrival date: Deposit within a maximum of 10 days after date of request. Total payment maximum 60 days prior to the arrival date.
• Reservations made between 119 and 90 days prior to arrival date: Deposit within a maximum of 10 days after date of request. Total payment maximum 60 days prior to the arrival date.
• Reservations made between 89 and 0 days prior to arrival date: Total payment should be made immediately.
Special reservations conditions for Exploration Packages during Christmas and New Year.
• A deposit of 10% must be paid immediately to confirm the reservation.
• 30% of package rate, 240 days prior to arrival date.
• 50% of package rate, 180 days prior to arrival date.
• Balance of the total payment should be made 120 days prior to arrival date.
NOTE: All reservations have a “Tentative” status until the reception of the required deposit. With the deposit, the reservation(s) will be changed to a “Pre-confirmed” status. With total payment, it will be changed to a “Confirmed” status.
Cancellations and penalties:
• Cancellations made 90 days or more prior to arrival date have no penalties. Cancellations made between 89 and 60 days prior to arrival date have a USD $350 per guest service charge.
• Cancellations made between 59 and 26 days prior to arrival date, 50% of the total package rate will be forfeited.
• Cancellations made between 25 and 0 days prior to arrival date, 100% of the package rate will be forfeited.
• Pikaia Lodge does not accept changes in the reservation dates. In case the guest(s) changes the reservation, we will consider it as a new reservation and is subject to all the applicable penalties.
• We strongly advice our guests to take a vacations cancelation insurance with their local insurance Company.
• If a travel agent does not send the total payment to our office or our bank account on the dates and conditions specified by our reservations and cancelation Policy, Pikaia Lodge is entitled to cancel the reservation, and will not be held responsible for the cancellation towards the guest.